Thanks for submitting your work to Barrelhouse!
Before you proceed, a note about open and closed categories. If you don't see the category that fits your work, we're not open for that thing. We keep submission periods pretty short because we're hoping that helps make our response times shorter, as well. The best way to track submission periods is probably to follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook or check back later.
Here are some guidelines:
No previously published work.
Please submit only one piece at a time. Except for poetry. You can submit up to five poems. Everybody else — just one!
We pay $50 to each contributor to our print and online issues. Print contributors also receive two contributor copies.
All other contributors are promised free beer, if we ever run into you in the flesh. If you don’t believe us about the free beer, ask around a little bit. We are frequently tipsy and imprudently generous.
We accept simultaneous submissions, on the understanding that you’ll tell us if you place the work elsewhere.
It will probably take us two to three months to get back to you. We try to do that faster, but there are few of us and many of you.
Barrelhouse loves to celebrate books just like you do, so let's do that thing together! We're interested in running reviews of books that fit Our Whole Thing. You read Barrelhouse, so you know what we're about. Let that be your guide. And also, these:
Book Review Guidelines:
- IMPORTANT: Please read the recently-updated, extensive guidelines on the website before submitting.
- Please send us reviews of books other than your own.
- Do not submit work to the Reviews section that is meant for another section.
- Do not submit excerpts or essays based on your own work.
- We prefer reviews that focus on recent (last two years) small press titles—especially debuts—or upcoming titles.
- We are especially keen on books that do not get reviewed in US outlets as often as others—translated works, international releases etc. After all, the joy of discovery is one of the greatest joys of being a reviewer.
- We're interested in full-length or chapbook-length collections of poetry & prose. We'd be open to memoirs, story or essay collections, even academic works. We're most tentative with academic titles—not because we're not open to them—but because they would need to be accessible to the same readership as for any text. For more on this, again—please go through the guidelines on the website. Send us your best—we'll give it a whirl!
- Include publisher, price, pg. #'s and word count on the review.
- Include a link to the publisher's website for purchase. We want to support small presses!
- Include an image of the cover, if possible.
- No self-published titles.
- We are open to non-standard reviewing forms, but as you might expect, only insofar as it doesn't distract from the book in question. Although they serve as commentary on another book, reviews are still a form of writing on their own, and hybrid forms are possible—but difficult to pull off. Again—see our guidelines.
- If you are previously spoken to one of the Reviews Editors—Katherine Coldiron or Kamil Ahsan—please indicate that in your cover letter.
- Simultaneous submissions are encouraged, but please let us know and withdraw your submission if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- All accepted reviews are subject to editorial suggestions. Obviously.
- We love you but we can't pay for your reviews at this time.
Note: if you are an author or a publisher who wants to put an ARC into our hands, query first for instructions about how to do that.
Thank you for submitting your original poetry to Barrelhouse! We look forward to reading it, particularly if you are a previously unpublished author. Please review the instructions below, so that you have a general sense of what we’re looking for, and how we’d like to receive it. We will be open for submissions from 1 - 15 November (23:59 EST), 2019.
- No previously published work.
- You can submit up to five poems. Please submit your poems as a single document, which can be a maximum of ten pages.
- We pay $50 to each contributor to our print issues, as well as two contributor copies.
- We accept simultaneous submissions — but please notify us as soon as possible by putting a comment on your submission if you place the work elsewhere.
- It will probably take us ~six months to get back to you. Please be patient with us!
- Please only send us Word or PDF files.
We look forward to reading your work!
-The Barrelhouse Poetry Team