Thanks for submitting your work to Barrelhouse!
Before you proceed, a note about open and closed categories. If you don't see the category that fits your work, we're not open for that thing. We keep submission periods pretty short because we're hoping that helps make our response times shorter, as well. The best way to track submission periods is probably to follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook or check back later.
Here are some guidelines:
No previously published work.
Please submit only one piece at a time. Except for poetry. You can submit up to five poems. Everybody else — just one!
We pay $50 to each contributor to our print issues, as well as two contributor copies.
So far, online contributors are paid primarily in karma. All contributors are also promised free beer, if we ever run into you in the flesh. If you don’t believe us about the free beer, ask around a little bit. We are frequently tipsy and imprudently generous.We accept simultaneous submissions, on the understanding that you’ll tell us if you place the work elsewhere.
It will probably take us two to three months to get back to you. We try to do that faster, but there are few of us and many of you.
Book Review Guidelines:
- Reviews should focus on recent (last two years) small press titles--especially debuts.
- Interested in full-length or chapbook-length collections of poetry & prose. Hybrid, graphic, multi-modal--sure! We'll give it a whirl.
- 750 words or less. Seriously. Please don't send 900 words and think we'll edit that down. Nope. If you have an idea for something longer, ask first.
- Include publisher, price, pg.#s and word count on the review.
- Include a link to the publisher's website for purchase. We want to support small presses!
- Include an image of the cover if possible.
- No self-published titles, sorry.
- Open to non-standard reviewing forms, as long as it doesn't distract from the book in question. Proceed with caution.
- All accepted reviews are subject to editorial suggestions. Obviously.
- We love you but we can't pay for your reviews at this time.
- We're looking for completed stand-alone pieces, so no strips. If you have a continuous strip to pitch, send it as a blog submission and address it to both editors Sheila and Killian.
- Please send completed comics. No scripts or pitches.
- For initial submission, upload a .jpeg file that's 300 dpi. If it's accepted, we'll ask for higher res. PDFs are also fine, but make sure you can send a .jpeg or .png if accepted.
- Since these comics will be printed, they must be formatted to fit and read well within our parameters of 5x8" (We print at 6x9" with a 1" gutter).
- Page limit is 8 max.
- Important info regarding previous publishing: If you've published your piece in a comics anthology or on your website, that's totally ok. Send it along! However, we are not looking for pieces which have already been published by another lit mag.
- Submissions take a while to read, so expect to wait up to 6 months for a response! (I appreciate your patience!)