Thanks for submitting your work to Barrelhouse!
Before you proceed, a note about open and closed categories. If you don't see the category that fits your work, we're not open for that thing. We keep submission periods pretty short because we're hoping that helps make our response times shorter, as well. The best way to track submission periods is probably to follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook or check back later.
Here are some guidelines:
No previously published work.
Please submit only one piece at a time. Except for poetry. You can submit up to five poems. Everybody else — just one!
We pay $50 to each contributor to our print and online issues. Print contributors also receive two contributor copies.
All other contributors are promised free beer, if we ever run into you in the flesh. If you don’t believe us about the free beer, ask around a little bit. We are frequently tipsy and imprudently generous.
We accept simultaneous submissions, on the understanding that you’ll tell us if you place the work elsewhere.
It will probably take us two to three months to get back to you. We try to do that faster, but there are few of us and many of you.
Writer Camp is a laid-back mini-vacation with plenty of time for writing. No readings, no mandatory sessions, no schedules: you decide when it’s time to write, read, or nap in a hammock. Each participant also has the option of receiving detailed feedback from a Barrelhouse editor on their work.
Your registration fee includes lodging, all meals, a few group activities, plenty of time to write, and campfires every night. Learn more at www.writer-camp.com.
Barrelhouse loves to celebrate books just like you do, so let's do that thing together! We're interested in running reviews of books that fit Our Whole Thing. You read Barrelhouse, so you know what we're about. Let that be your guide. And also, these:
Book Review Guidelines:
- Please send us reviews of books other than your own.
- No self-published titles.
- Do not submit work to the Reviews section that is meant for another section.
- Do not submit excerpts or essays based on your own work.
- We prefer reviews that focus on recent (last two years) small press titles—especially debuts—or upcoming titles.
- We're interested in full-length or chapbook-length collections of poetry & prose. We're open to memoirs, story or essay collections, even academic works.
- Include publisher, price, page count and word count.
- Include a link to the publisher's website for purchase.
- Include an image of the cover, if possible.
- We are open to non-standard reviewing forms, as long as it doesn't distract from the book in question.
- If you've previously spoken to our Reviews Editor, Katherine Coldiron, please indicate that in your cover letter.
- Simultaneous submissions are encouraged, but please let us know and withdraw your submission if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- All accepted reviews are subject to editorial suggestions.
- We love you but we do not pay for book reviews at this time.
If you are an author or a publisher who wants to put an ARC into our hands, query first for instructions.