Thanks for submitting your work to Barrelhouse!
Before you proceed, a note about open and closed categories. If you don't see the category that fits your work, we're not open for that thing. We keep submission periods pretty short because we're hoping that helps make our response times shorter, as well. The best way to track submission periods is probably to follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook or check back later.
Here are some guidelines:
No previously published work.
Please submit only one piece at a time. Except for poetry. You can submit up to five poems. Everybody else — just one!
We pay $50 to each contributor to our print issues, as well as two contributor copies.
So far, online contributors are paid primarily in karma. All contributors are also promised free beer, if we ever run into you in the flesh. If you don’t believe us about the free beer, ask around a little bit. We are frequently tipsy and imprudently generous.We accept simultaneous submissions, on the understanding that you’ll tell us if you place the work elsewhere.
It will probably take us two to three months to get back to you. We try to do that faster, but there are few of us and many of you.
Great! Here's what we're looking for:
Pitches for regularly-running columns (bi-weekly? monthly? whatcha got?)
One-time guest posts
Not going to spell out a ton of style/content specifics because you kind of have to get who we are and what we do in order to pitch successfully, but here are some ideas:
- Coverage of a pop-cultural event (*cough* election *cough*) for its duration
- Commentary on icons and their doings
- Collaborations/Conversations/Call & Response (you tell us)
- Meditations on the Writing Life, whatever that means
- Discussions of craft that will make us feel excited about craft
- Writing on movies/music/food/products/other from a Barrelhousian perspective (if you don't know what that means, start reading.)
- SOMETHING ELSE AWESOME WE HAVE NOT YET IMAGINED!
For regular columns, please submit your pitch (one-page MAX) and a short sample of the type of writing we can expect to read. Please don't send us to links where your other work has been published. Tell us what do you want to do and why do you think we're the right place for it? Include a title for your proposed thing.
For one-time posts, submit the complete thing itself, 1500 words MAX.
Please include your bio.
We are especially excited to consider a diversity of voices.
At the moment we can not offer payment for writing on the blog. We're sorry about that. We'll buy you a coffee or a beer the next time we see you.
Application is free.
If accepted, camp fees vary based on your choice of accommodations at the hostel. All meals are included.
$425: single occupancy in a private cabin
$275: double occupancy in a private cabin (each cabin has a full sized bed and a couch)
Please visit http://www.godspeedhostel.com/rooms/ for more details about the hostel.
Book Review Guidelines:
- Reviews should focus on recent (last two years) small press titles--especially debuts.
- Interested in full-length or chapbook-length collections of poetry & prose. Hybrid, graphic, multi-modal--sure! We'll give it a whirl.
- 750 words or less. Seriously. Please don't send 900 words and think we'll edit that down. Nope. If you have an idea for something longer, ask first.
- Include publisher, price, pg.#s and word count on the review.
- Include a link to the publisher's website for purchase. We want to support small presses!
- Include an image of the cover if possible.
- No self-published titles, sorry.
- Open to non-standard reviewing forms, as long as it doesn't distract from the book in question. Proceed with caution.
- All accepted reviews are subject to editorial suggestions. Obviously.
- We love you but we can't pay for your reviews at this time.