Thanks for submitting your work to Barrelhouse!
Before you proceed, a note about open and closed categories. If you don't see the category that fits your work, we're not open for that thing. We keep submission periods pretty short because we're hoping that helps make our response times shorter, as well. The best way to track submission periods is probably to follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook or check back later.
Here are some guidelines:
No previously published work.
Please submit only one piece at a time. Except for poetry. You can submit up to five poems. Everybody else — just one!
We pay $50 to each contributor to our print issues, as well as two contributor copies.
So far, online contributors are paid primarily in karma. All contributors are also promised free beer, if we ever run into you in the flesh. If you don’t believe us about the free beer, ask around a little bit. We are frequently tipsy and imprudently generous.We accept simultaneous submissions, on the understanding that you’ll tell us if you place the work elsewhere.
It will probably take us two to three months to get back to you. We try to do that faster, but there are few of us and many of you.
Meghan Phillips is the fiction editor for Third Point Press and an associate editor for SmokeLong Quarterly. You can find her writing at meghan-phillips.com and her tweets @mcarphil. She lives in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where she listens to Jethro Tull's Songs from the Wood when she decorates for the holidays.
Book Review Guidelines:
- Reviews should focus on recent (last two years) small press titles--especially debuts.
- Interested in full-length or chapbook-length collections of poetry & prose. Hybrid, graphic, multi-modal--sure! We'll give it a whirl.
- 750 words or less. Seriously. Please don't send 900 words and think we'll edit that down. Nope. If you have an idea for something longer, ask first.
- Include publisher, price, pg.#s and word count on the review.
- Include a link to the publisher's website for purchase. We want to support small presses!
- Include an image of the cover if possible.
- No self-published titles, sorry.
- Open to non-standard reviewing forms, as long as it doesn't distract from the book in question. Proceed with caution.
- All accepted reviews are subject to editorial suggestions. Obviously.
- We love you but we can't pay for your reviews at this time.